Over the last eight weeks, I have learned so much from this course- EDUC-6357 Diversity, Development, and Learning. It has been such a positive experience with you all and having Dr. Parrish as our instructor.
One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is to always be mindful of their culture, respectful, and to have patience.
One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is to provide more training on bias and trauma and how to support children and their families during those challenging times or discrimination.
Thank you to my colleagues for learning with me, supporting me, and for your suggestions on resources that will support me through this journey. Best of luck to you in your next course and I hope I get to work with you again.
Hi Jamie,
ReplyDeleteHaving patience while teaching or working with kids is always important, but it is especially crucial when working with children and families of diverse cultures because there is so much more that needs to be taken into consideration when interacting with them; especially if you are not knowledgeable about their home culture/language/customs. I also like your idea to provide more training on bias and trauma and how to support children and their families with this. Although we only had the single week on trauma, I was amazed to learn about and really think about all the different types of traumas and how they can affect children throughout their years. I definitely agree that this could be a bigger priority in schooling and understanding not only for the child to learn how to "deal" with it but also for the educators so we can help them in that process.
Hope to see you in our next course :)
-BRittany
Hello Jamie,
ReplyDeleteWonderful blog post! Learning to be mindful of children's culture, be respectful and have patience is a great goal to have. In doing so, we embrace creativity and demonstrate to our students to see the world in an entirely different way. Working with children over the past few years have given me a larger reserve of patience because everyday is different and some days are difficult and each child needs something different. Continue to work on your goals as an educator and I know you will achieve them all. Good luck in the near future.
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteYou always have wonderful blog posts, as well as discussion posts. Being mindful as well as respectful is important to our students, as well as their families. I wish you the best of luck as you continue on your journey.
-Heather
Hi Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI think your goal you set to have more training in the field is definitely a great goal to have as children are learning and evolving we need to build on our knowledge of how to be prepared to teach them. I wish you all the best in your future classes and endeavors, thank you for all your useful resources and discussions over these past 8weeks.
Violanda -
Having patience is vital for a educator because a teacher may not have experience a child from a different country with different languages. It could take time for the teacher and student to connect socially because of the language barrier. Patience is going to be key for the positive relationship to occur in the classroom.
ReplyDelete