Friday, May 29, 2020

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions


Microaggression is defined as: "brief everyday indignities that are verbal, behavioral or environmental, that they may be intentional or unintentionally communicated to women, to people of color, to gay/lesbians that have an insulting message behind them that often time causes severe psychological distress and harm" (Laureate Education, 2011). 
One example of microaggression which I experienced this week was when I got a flat tire. I was able to get off the road and pull into a shopping center to check my tire and unfortunately, I needed to put the spare on it. I was in the middle of getting things out of my SUV to get to the tools and tire when I heard " oh no, you will be better to call AAA." I look up and it is a middle-aged male who made a smirk and kept walking. I am sure I had a rude look on my face because I was in disbelief that he made a comment and that he proceeded to continue walking. I told myself that it was because of COVID-19 and social distancing which is why he didn't offer to help. Luckily, I grew up in a household with brothers and they taught me how to change my own tire. 

At that moment I felt annoyed and frustrated. I found it so rude that he made a comment implying that I was a woman and did not know what I was doing and that woman cannot change tires. 

As I reflect now after learning about microaggression, it is those little remarks about women that happen all the time that is so downgrading and battling. 

(... a little part of me was hoping he would walk out and see me finishing up putting the tire on ALL BY MYSELF)

This week my observation experiences affect my perception of the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes on people. It has been a sad, sickening, upsetting week in light of  George Floyd. My heart aches. 
It is time to make a difference to eliminate social injustice.  We need to do better. Every life Matters. 


Sometimes I think a picture conveys a message more effectively than writing so I have included a few very meaningful messages...




Social Justice – St. Margaret Mary

Gender and social justice

Cyngor Bwdaidd Cymru — Buddhist Council of Wales: Race Equality ...


*Sending Positivity to everyone*



Reference:

Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life [Video File]. Retrieved 
         from https://class.waldenu.edu


4 comments:

  1. Jamie,
    What we are facing in our world currently is terrible and it is getting worse day by day. Of course, I am down for Black Lives Matter, however I believe all races face a form of discrimination to some extent. The Caucasian cop for instance does not represent for all cops, however all cops are now scared for their lives.
    It is truly sad that the man first insulted and underestimated you because you were a woman, then he did not offer to help. I believe you are awesome for trying to see the positive and blame it to Covid-19. The sad part is that it happened before Covid-19 existed. Women are true victims of gender micro aggression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly appreciate your post Jamie as well as the positivity from your message. The event which occurred this week with George Floyd is truly heartbreaking and all lives do matter. As a result of this heartbreaking event many people are enraged and violent protesting will result in additional senseless deaths of police as well as people in the nation.
    As women, we are often seen as inferior and unable to complete what is considered a "man's task." However, women are capable being successful. I'm disappointed that he didn't offer to help you. I'm happy that you were taught to change a tire and wouldn't have to rely on someone else to change it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,
    I applaud you for being able to change your own tire and although the fella had a sexist remark I like you want to believe that since he had something to say hopefully it was Covid-19 that prevented him from being a gentleman and changing your tire.
    I am unnerved that someone that is suppose to protect and serve could not gauge and redirect his approach in reprimanding George Floyd in a way that would not result in his death. As a result of that people are lashing out in ways that will not provide them or Mr. Floyd's family with any solace. It is all truly despairing .

    Violanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,
    Thank you fro sharing this week. Awesome job on changing your tire on your own. I was also shown how to change my own tire as well as my own oil if ever I need to. I had a similar situation where I had a flat tire once where a gentleman pulled over to help me. However, it wasn't because he did not think I could do it, he said he did not want me out on the road late at night in the dark. I appreciated his effort to protect me and get back on the road more quickly. I also appreciate you sharing your sentiments about the George Floyd situation. I agree with you 100%. We need to do better. Everyone's life matters and therefore we need to educate ourselves as often as possible so that we can teach our students that EVERY LIFE MATTERS.

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

To Dr. Darragh Ernst and colleagues, thank you so much for your support over the last 8 weeks. Thank you for your positive feedback and shar...