This week I had the opportunity to ask friends what they think about diversity and culture...
The definitions I received for culture were:
The definitions I received for diversity were:- Culture is what makes a group(s) of people similar
- Culture is the customs or traditions of a group of people
- Culture is the behaviors and norms of an environment
- Diversity is what makes a group of people different
- Diversity is a range of different cultures in a group
- Diversity is individuality and recognizing differences nad uniqueness among others
The aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course are included in the answers that I have received because the responses included customs, traditions, groups of people who share similarities. I noticed the definitions included surface culture and some aspects were omitted such as deep culture like gender roles, ideas about education, housing arrangements, language, work, recreation, religion, and health care (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).
When reflecting on the definitions of culture and diversity that I received, it has influenced my own thinking about these topics because diversity and culture are so much more than what is visible. It is essential that everyone is aware of their culture and understands how many different aspects of your life is influenced by your culture
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
I truly appreciate your post Jamie. I agree that it's essential that everyone is aware of their own culture and specifically the deep culture. I also agree that many different aspects of your life are influenced by your culture. As an educator there are many different cultures of children as well as families which may cross your path. Educators are extremely important to their educational experience. Janet Gonzalez-Mena shared that identity formation should be an additive process as children learn new things (Laureate, 2011). Being aware of our own culture as educators can help children become motivated to learn about their own culture. Culture is learned from the people around you such as family, close friends, and relatives (Laureate, 2011). Educators can also help children learn about their culture by implementing a variety of cultural lessons or literature in the learning environment.
ReplyDeleteLaureate Education (Producer). (2011). Culture and diversity [Video file]. Retrieved from http://class.waldenu.edu
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI like that you stated that it is essential that everyone is aware of their own culture. That could not have been said better. I fully support that statement because to know ourselves allows us to discern and respect the culture of others and have a learning opportunity when possible. "When we find ourselves in the midst of another culture, or when we must interact with someone from a different culture, we discover that the way we do things is not the only way" (Derman-Sparks, 2010).
Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this week. I like that you pointed out what you noticed in the definitions clearly, and that you also touched on what was also omitted. It is definitely important to recognize our own cultures. As this class has progressed I have realized how much my own culture affects me.
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI truly enjoyed this assignment because it had me look beyond my familiarity. I noticed that the older generation enjoys talking about culture and diversity because it’s not the same as it is today. The senior population has a wealth of information to share that I enjoy partaking in to compare it to today’s circumstances. “Professional growth involves change and change in turn will foster new professional growth if you remain open to the possibilities” (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).
Reference
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Issues and trends in the early childhood field: The Gonzalez family: A first generation immigrant experience. Baltimore, MD: Author.