My Family Culture
A major catastrophe has almost completely devastated the infrastructure of your country. The emergency government has decided that the surviving citizens will be best served if they are evacuated to other countries willing to take refugees. You and your immediate family are among the survivors of this catastrophic event. However, you have absolutely no input into the final destination or in any other evacuation details. You are told that your host country’s culture is completely different from your own, and that you might have to stay there permanently. You are further told that, in addition to one change of clothes, you can only take 3 small items with you. You decide to take three items that you hold dear and that represent your family culture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The three items that are significant to me and represent my family culture are:
1. My camera
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The three items that are significant to me and represent my family culture are:
1. My camera
2. Maryland Flag
3. Blanket made out of T-shirts
I chose these items because my camera has photos of my family, friends, and experiences over the years so it would bring me happiness to be able to take through the pictures and reflect on all the amazing memories. I would also bring a Maryland flag that represents my home and where I grew up. It is small and can be folded up. Finally, I would bring my blanket that is made out of hold t-shirts from all the places we have traveled. It would keep cozy to have to sleep with but also reminds me of the good times my family and I have together.
I would be heartbroken if up if, upon arrival, I was told that I could only keep one personal item and have to give up the other two items I brought with me. It would be hard to get rid of the only items you had left. However, I think I would keep the camera because I would not want to lose those pictures that I would never be able to get back and show future generations. I also would like to be able to take pictures during the time of hardship to learn about a new culture and country.
I chose these items because my camera has photos of my family, friends, and experiences over the years so it would bring me happiness to be able to take through the pictures and reflect on all the amazing memories. I would also bring a Maryland flag that represents my home and where I grew up. It is small and can be folded up. Finally, I would bring my blanket that is made out of hold t-shirts from all the places we have traveled. It would keep cozy to have to sleep with but also reminds me of the good times my family and I have together.
I would be heartbroken if up if, upon arrival, I was told that I could only keep one personal item and have to give up the other two items I brought with me. It would be hard to get rid of the only items you had left. However, I think I would keep the camera because I would not want to lose those pictures that I would never be able to get back and show future generations. I also would like to be able to take pictures during the time of hardship to learn about a new culture and country.
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI really would not know how to act if I was every put in a situation like this. However, if that was ever the case I agree with you. I chose to keep my photo books because like you stated, "I would not want to lose those pictures that I would never be able to get back and show future generations". I think your t-shirt blanket is so cool. Having a blanket with pieces t-shirts from all the place you have visited is an excellent idea and a great memory keeper. I would love to see a photo if you could find a way to upload it.
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteThis hypothetical situation was definitely a challenge when it came to deciding of the three items which I would keep. It seems a family blanket of some sort is a popular choice as I had it on my list as well. I had my cell phone because their are so many things a cell can hold pictures being one of them however, I would hope in a situation such as this I could replace that cell and download my photos from a backup point but if not I would have to make new memories. I surprise myself in saying that because I am an over the top sentimental person and I would likely be a walking waterfall from the tears I would be crying to have to let anything go.
Violanda -
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your read immensely especially the part where you would take your camera because I would take my cell phone because it too would have all of my fond memories. The one thing you would like to keep is the same thing I decided on keeping also and for the very same reason. Thank you for sharing.