*My Connections to Play*
As I reflect on my childhood, play was a vital part of my life growing up with my brothers, family, friends, and neighbors. During the school year, we spent the afternoons, early dismissals, snow days, two hours delays, weekends and holiday breaks together outside or playing at someone's house. During the summer, we were outside every day at the park, in our backyards, beach, pool, or at my grandparent's house. We rode bikes, scooters, played tag, hide and seek, red light green light, soccer, basketball, hockey, and built forts. My family lives on a farm so I spent many weekends, riding bikes, tractors and walking the farm with my brothers, cousins and aunt and uncle.
Here are three quotes about play that represents my childhood experiences:
Some essential toy items I had growing up include:
Lincoln Logs
American Girl Doll
Little Tikes Car
In today’s society play has the potential to be similar to
the play in which I engaged in as a child because similar toys are still
available, just newer, updated versions. However, technology has advanced and
has really taken over the children’s time. Children are now playing less and are
not as active due to tablets and other technology devices. Many young children
have their own tablets. Children need time to play every day to explore, learn and grow!
If I was to picture myself as a 4- 5-year-old, I picture myself on the beach with my brothers, parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle and family friends. It would consist of my brothers, two friends and I playing together in the sand. We would have sand toys such as shovels, buckets to play with to make sandcastles. The adults would be supervising and modeling to us how to make sandcastles and how to drizzle sand on top. Then we would be jumping in the waves, holding the adult's hands, counting 1, 2,3 jump and we all would try to jump over the waves before it crashed on to us. This is just a glimpse of what my summers looked like, surrounded by family and friends supporting our development and having fun!
If I was to picture myself as a 4- 5-year-old, I picture myself on the beach with my brothers, parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle and family friends. It would consist of my brothers, two friends and I playing together in the sand. We would have sand toys such as shovels, buckets to play with to make sandcastles. The adults would be supervising and modeling to us how to make sandcastles and how to drizzle sand on top. Then we would be jumping in the waves, holding the adult's hands, counting 1, 2,3 jump and we all would try to jump over the waves before it crashed on to us. This is just a glimpse of what my summers looked like, surrounded by family and friends supporting our development and having fun!
As an adult, I still need time to be free and explore with my friends. It is great way to reduce stress and enjoy life!






WOW, Jamie you brought back some very happy memories with the photos you shared. The Lincoln Logs really did it. I would love to see children now using those logs to express to be creative and interact with each other. As far as your childhood goes it was the ideal environment a child thrives in. I believe we all have those times we need to reduce our stress with or friends. When time permits painting is my first go to with my friends. I enjoyed your post tremendously.
ReplyDeleteViolanda
Jamie, my childhood sounds like yours! I can remember playing all the time whether inside or out. I think I became a bit adventurous with my play because one time I tried to bungy jump (not sure what I was thinking). My sister and I used a variety of things to play with and enjoyed it.
ReplyDelete