Code of Ethics is defined as the core values of the field and provides guidance for what professionals should do when they encounter conflicting obligations or responsibilities in their work.
The following ideals contained in the NAEYC and DEC codes of ethics that are meaningful to me are:
- From NAEYC: I-1.9- To advocate for and ensure that all children, including those with special needs, have access to the support services needed to be successful.
- From NAEYC: I-1.1—To be familiar with the knowledge base of early childhood care and education and to stay informed through continuing education and training.
- From NAEYC: I-1.12- To work with families to provide a safe and smooth transition as children and families move from one program to the next.
- From DEC: We shall demonstrate our respect and appreciation for all families’ beliefs, values, customs, languages, and culture relative to their nurturance and support of their children toward achieving meaningful and relevant priorities and outcomes families’ desire for themselves and their children.
- From DEC: We shall empower families with information and resources so that they are informed consumers of services for their children.
I find these to be the most meaningful to me and these code of ethics will continue to be a part of my professional life because it is critical to continue learning and growing in the field of early childhood to be able to support children and their families the best way possible and to provide them with resources that are available to them in the community. As an educator, we make an impact on childrens lives every day so it is important to advocate for them and their families to make a change and make sure they are receiving the appropriate services and proper classroom placement. It is important to work as team to help families understand the transition process. It can be overwhelming and confusing especially for culturally and linguistically diverse families so being there for them and supporting them is critical.
References
The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from
http://www.dec-sped.org
NAEYC. (2005. April). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment. Retrieved May 26,
2010, from http:// naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.pdf
References
The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from
http://www.dec-sped.org
NAEYC. (2005. April). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment. Retrieved May 26,
2010, from http:// naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.pdf
~ Life of Special Educator~
Hello Jamie: Thanks for sharing. I am so glad Dr. Embree shared these to resources because they are very helpful. Yes, the code of ethics will continue to be a part of my professional life, too.
ReplyDeleteKatrina
Hi Jamie,
ReplyDeleteYes, advocating for our children is a must especially when resources are needed in-spite of differences. NAEYC Code of ethical conduct and Statement commitment/DEC Code of Ethics should be the staple for every ECE because it will surely play a big part in my career. I see you say resources are important to have as do I. Do you find that a large amount of resources in your state is available to assist with the needs of the early childhood population?
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts. I also find these ideals meaningful to me. These particular ones are extremely important to me. Children need moral support from their families as well as their teachers. They need that motivation and push to learn.
Jamie:
ReplyDeleteYou did an outstanding job on your blog. It was very impressive, inviting, and easy to read. Thanks for a great semester. Good Luck!
Katrina
Hi Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI remember since week one you were so encouraging to our class. You stated how you work with social workers and understand the importance they have to children and their families. Thank you for recognizing that social workers have to "problem solve through difficult situations" (Havard, WK1, 2019). When everyone in our field appreciates every professional and what they bring to the table, the child and his/her family will benefit and succeed. I wish you well with all future endeavors.
Resource:
Jamie Havard; WK1Discussion; Group2
Jamie I enjoyed your blog as well as your insight throughout the course. You have shared so much knowledge and I am grateful. With the research you shared made me want to look up more. I love that you are a special needs educator because you offer a different perspective and additional resources. I wish you nothing but the best in future courses and in your personal and professional life.
ReplyDeleteJamie,
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed your blog as well as reading different insights that you have throughout this course. You are very knowledgeable, and your love for teaching and learning shines through in your posts and writing. I believe that you will continue to shine throughout this program!I can't wait to see what else you will do.
Jamies,
ReplyDeleteI just want to thank you ladies for being positive and great supporters! You all have shared great resources and information regarding the early childhood education field. I have learned many things over these past eight weeks that I did not have any knowledge of. I wish you both the best in life with your education journey. This is only the beginning for you ladies. There is more to come.