Three national/federal organizations that appealed to me include:
- Head Start
- NAEYC- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Children's Defense Fund
I chose these organizations because they all are committed and focused on supporting young children and their families. Head Start strives to create communities that are healthier, stronger and empowers children and their families to be successful. The Children's Defense fund provides a strong voice for all children in the United States who are not able to be their own voice. The organization is focused on several important topics including health, education, child welfare, mental health, child care, pregnancy, income and jobs for the youth. NAEYC is an organization that promotes high quality education for young children through practice, policy and research.
I would be very interested in pursuing a job with these three organizations. Some job opportunities that interest me include e-learning specialist at NAEYC which would be a great opportunity during this pandemic. I did not find any current job positions at Children's defense fund. However, I think it would be very empowering to use my voice to advocate for young children and continue to support the program in making positive changes for our youth. Head start has jobs including early childhood specialist, educator, center director, and head start supervisor.
The Skills and experience I would need to competently fulfill each of these roles include using my skills and knowledge that I have as an special educator and anti-bias education to be an advocate for young children and their families. Some of the job requirements for the early childhood specialist consists of:
- Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education
- ten years of professional experience
- 5 years of demonstrated experience in the field of early childhood education
- 5 years of experience offering training and technical assistance within early care and education
- Experience working with Infants/Toddlers and their families
- Experience in parent, family, community engagement
- Experience working with dual language learners
- Experience working with unique populations
- Experience working in different learning environments (home based, center based, etc.)
- Experience in working within early elementary school systems
- Experience with mental health and/or social emotional development of children
- Experience working with American Indian/Alaska Native peoples
- Experience working remotely
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required.
Hello Jamie,
ReplyDeleteEach organization you selected play vital roles in the early development of a child. What I like most is that they strive to bring the child parents into their learning. Head Start " Services are provided in a variety of settings including centers, family child care, and children’s own home. Head Start programs also engage parents or other key family members in positive relationships, with a focus on family well-being" (HHS.2021).
Violanda -
Reference
Head Start Services. (2021). Retrieved from https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ohs/about/head-start
Hi Jamie, I also chose NAEYC as an organization I would like to work with. I love the support they provide to families and educators, and also the work that they do in advocacy. I would be willing to go in as an intern just to get a better understanding of all the great work they do.
ReplyDeleteJamie,
ReplyDeleteI love the organizations that you selected because they play such an important role in early childhood development. I also looked at NAEYC because of the work that they do with anti-bias education.
Thank you for sharing,
Heather