Sunday, December 20, 2020

Impacts on Early Emotional Development

The area of the world I chose was Latin America and Caribbean specific Dominican Republic. I have travelled to the Dominican Republic for vacation a few times and thought it would be interesting to learn more about this area since I have been there. 
Some of the challenges that children in this region of the world are confronting include:
  •   COVID-19 PANDEMIC- causing children and families  to be without access to education, health care, housing, nutrition, sanitation or water  (UNICEF, 2020)
  • low quality of care for mothers and newborns in public health facilities is reflected in a very high neonatal mortality (UNICEF, 2020)
  • malnutrition  (UNICEF, 2020)
  • physical and sexual abuse  (UNICEF, 2020)
  • hurricanes and floods lead to health emergencies such as the cholera, AH1N1, dengue and Zika epidemics  (UNICEF, 2020)
  • Violence in schools (UNICEF, 2020)
  • access to preschool and secondary school (UNICEF, 2020) 
  • low investment and not an inclusive environment 
These experiences might have an effect on children’s emotional wellbeing and development because of trauma and lack of nurturing love and support at home to help them development.

As I looked through website and different information that is available, it is very eye opening how fortunate I am to be raised in a home that was nurturing and loving that cared for me and provided me with proper nutrition, housing and education. 

The influences I have  as a person and as an early childhood professional is looking for ways to create a positive change locally and around the globe to give back and help young children be safe, grow and develop with proper care and nutrition. It was very upsetting to see that that the Dominican Republic does not support children with disabilities ( 21% of children between 6-11 years old) cannot read or write (UNICEF, 2020). Therefore, using my voice and being an advocate for those who do not have the resources is essential. 


Reference

https://www.unicef.org/dominicanrepublic/salud-y-supervivencia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Time Well Spent

To Dr. Darragh Ernst and colleagues, thank you so much for your support over the last 8 weeks. Thank you for your positive feedback and shar...