This week we have learned about the 5 stages of team development which consist of :
- Forming
- Storming
- Norming
- Performing
- Adjourning
I think team situations can be both very positive experiences and negative experiences depending on the many aspects such as if relationships built, team leader responsibilities if the understanding and expectations of the project are clear and established at the beginning, acceptance of team members and also how everyone contributes (Abudi, 2010).
When a team-building experience is positive, it is hard to say goodbye because everyone has formed relationships during the duration of the project, accepted each other's diverse backgrounds and creativity, created strong communication, successful problem solved through conflicts in order to complete the task and finally respected each other (Abudi, 2010). Therefore, it hard to leave this kind of group. However, I have always kept and touch with team members after the task is completed because we shared similar interests, views, and hobbies!
I imagine that I will adjourn from the group of colleagues I have formed while working on my master's degree in this program by wishing everyone luck on their next endeavor and creating a positive change for the young children and their families. We share similar interests and passions by completing this degree together, being a voice for the early childhood field and I hope to cross paths again.
Adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it is imperative to celebrate your success, reflect on the growth everyone has made including the challenges and the hard work that each member put in (Abudi, 2010). It is important to discuss the challenges in order to learn and grow for the next team collaboration (Abudi, 2010). Finally, to wish each other the best on their next adventure
Reference
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from https://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.php
Hello Jamie,
ReplyDeleteYou are correct! Today we have Instagram, Facebook, email, etc. to keep in touch with people you would like to keep in touch with inspite of adjourning moments. "Introverts tend to recharge by spending time alone. They lose energy from being around people for long periods of time, particularly large crowds. Extroverts, on the other hand, gain energy from other people. Extroverts actually find their energy is sapped when they spend too much time alone. They recharge by being social" (Cooper, 2013).
I do believe depending on either one you, maybe will determine your experience of how positive or negative your adjourning moments will turn out.
Reference
Belle Beth Cooper. (2013, August 21). Are You An Introvert Or An Extrovert? What It Means For Your Career. Fast Company; Fast Company. https://www.fastcompany.com/3016031/are-you-an-introvert-or-an-extrovert-and-what-it-means-for-your-career
Great post, I think because this Masters program and course work have all been an online experience, its not the same as if it would have been in person class. Emotions and feelings are not being displayed therefore not much of a bond is being formed except through blog replies and discussions responds. Adjourning, is just a completion and hopefully something was learnt in the process.
ReplyDeleteJamie, I agree that we will all be wishing each other well on future endeavors as we work towards helping children and families and building better communities. When we get to the adjourning stage we will be able to celebrate our achievement which is graduation!
ReplyDeleteJamie,
ReplyDeleteI concur, there are both positive and negative aspects of being a part of a group but as I always say there is something to be learned from both experiences. Trust, respect and effective communication within a group are prime factors that lead to success and make it hard to adjourn from a team as well "Without communications, there is not a team at all. Good communication skills are absolutely crucial for every good team and effective teamwork. Examples of good communication skills are verbal and non-verbal communication skills, to be patient and confident" (Business Phrase, 2020). I appreciate you for sharing your perspectives and wish you all the best in all your future goals.
Reference
Team Building Skills: List For Effective Teamwork. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.businessphrases.net/team-building-skills/
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteI one hundred percent agree with you, there are both positive and negative parts to groups. I am glad that we can learn from both experiences. I find it harder to leave a group when it has been successful, because I always feel as though there is more to learn. However, I can take both positive and negative group experiences to my next group experience and continue using them in the future.
-Heather