This week we have studied some of the causes of conflict and strategies on how to approach and resolve these situations. We learned two strategies that can be used to resolve conflicts and prevent them including:
- nonviolent communication
- 3 R's -Respectful, Response and Relationship
A recent conflict is the ever-changing COVID-19 guidelines, restrictions, county, and state mandates. My fiance and I have been having a little disagreement about what we should do due to being in a bind with contracts with our venue, photographer, DJ, etc. Also, in regards to the guest list because of the capacity restrictions and social distancing rules. It is such a stressful and the unknown of what will happen in a few months is very stressful.
Two strategies I have learned that can help me manage and prevent conflict is
- Cooperative Strategy: Collaborating (O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2018)- We have been in close communication with the wedding coordinator at our venue, my family, each other, and the other vendors involved in our special way to brainstorm and discuss any underlying concerns regarding the pandemic. Collaborating is important to work together to find ways to meet the goals of each individual involved (O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2018)
- Compromising: is defined as " A way to resolve conflict in which both parties must give up something to gain something" (O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin & Teven, 2008, p.228). We have compromised and have agreed to have our wedding and follow the capacity guidelines. So, our wedding is going to be smaller than originally planned but we are able to have our wedding still which we both ( at this time at least. We are hoping and praying things will be more positive in November)
We have tried to problem-solve various solutions such as postponing a year, moving our date, changing venues, making it an intimate wedding, changing it to a destination wedding, etc. We have decided to go forward with our wedding on the date that we chose and at our beautiful venue because no matter what, if we only have 25 people or 150, it will still be a beautiful day with each other ❤️
Jamie,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. My friend is also going through the same type of struggles with planning her wedding. I think that you have used very good strategies in order to communicate with your vendors and others involved in your wedding ceremony. I like that you said that either way it will be a beautiful day for the two of you. It is your day and it is completely about you and your future husband. Collaboration is important and you are doing a wonderful job.
Great post Jamie, You bring up such an important factor that is currently happing to everyone in some form or fashion in dealing with the ever changing guidelines of COVID19 and all the stress that this brings, We are all facing such uncertainty and I do think the approaches that you have taken with the compromise and collaborating is the best strategies to handle our current situations. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteJamie, first I hope everything works out and you have a beautiful wedding. Next I am glad you have a great support system and you have figured out ways to collaborate with everyone to make sure things go smoothly. COVID-19 has definitely caused a lot stress and I wish you the best with everything
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. I truly hope everything does work out. I know of so many individuals who are going through the same thing and it is such a blessing that you have a great support system. I have gone from saying it is because of Covid-19 to just saying, its 2020. Wish you all the best!
ReplyDelete