Saturday, July 11, 2020

Assignment 2: Blog Assignment

We have been learning about communication skills and styles. For this assignment, we had to record an episode of a television show that I do not normally watch and Watch the show with the sound turned off in order to answer the following questions: 

 I recorded the show Family Feud.

I think the characters' relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating are relatives or friends because they appear to demonstrate a close bond between each other. 

Based on the nonverbal behavior I observed, they seemed to be happy and enjoyed their time on the game show. These expressions were obvious through their body language, facial expressions, and eye behavior (O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2018).

Then I watched the show with the sound on.  

The assumptions I made about the characters and plot based on the ways in which I interpreted the communication I observed was that they were friends and/or family supporting each other to win the game. They seemed to have a strong relationship, laughed, high fived each other, collaborated as a team in huddles, and talked with Steve Harvey in a positive, fun manner.  

I believe body language and facial expressions are very helpful in understanding other individuals and in this example helped me make assumptions that were correct.  Gestures are one way to convey emotion and our faces also indicate emotions ( O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2018). I knew the individuals on the show were happy because a smile suggests happiness  ( O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2018).




Reference
O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D. I., & Teven, J. (2018). Real communication: An introduction. (4th. ed).

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite shows to watch. I also believe that body language and facial expressions are very helpful in understanding others around us. One of the biggest things is also if someone "talks" with their hands; as you can defiantly get a sense of the context that way as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not watched Family Fued in a long time, but just by how you were describe their actions, excitement and hand gestures, I can recall just how much fun the families have on that show. This is what the text talked about leakage cues, nonverbal communication that leaks out without our control and give people signs of what we might be thinking or feeling.
    O'Hair,D.,Wiemann,M.,Mullin,D., & Teven,J. (2018). Real Communication: An Introduction 4th ed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,
    Family Feud is such an interesting choice for this assignment. I think that this is a great way to show how the body can react to different situations. I know from watching the show that the families tend to be very supportive of one another and show joy as they are playing the game together. Thank you for sharing.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

To Dr. Darragh Ernst and colleagues, thank you so much for your support over the last 8 weeks. Thank you for your positive feedback and shar...