Saturday, January 25, 2020

Getting to Know International Organizations: Part 1

This week we explored international resources that focus on strategies and advocacy efforts devoted to addressing poverty and creating positive social change.

       I had the opportunity to explore an organization called the United Nations Children's Fund. United Nations Children's Fund develops partnerships with others around the world to support policies and supply resources and services that protect children. They believe every child deserves the opportunity to be raised in a safe and inclusive environment (UNICEF, 2016). 

          According to UNICEF (2016), about 385 million children live in extreme poverty. Around the world, an estimated one in three children lives in homes that are multidimensionally poor therefore do not have the basic necessities such as nutrition and clean water (UNICEF, 2016). When children grow up in these living situations it leads to fewer skills for the workforce, and earn lower wages as adults (UNICEF, 2016).

    UNICEF provides opportunities for positive social change because they are responsible for creating Sustainable Development goals to support countries in making, analyzing and using data for these indicators for the population in each country (UNICEF, 2016). 

UNICEF is committed to supporting children in all aspects of development and their well0being by focusing on 5 overarching areas including (UNICEF, 2016): 


  • Every child survives and thrives
  • Every child learns
  • Every child is protected from violence and exploitation
  • Every child lives in a safe and clean environment
  • Every child has a fair chance in life




Reference

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (2016).  Child Poverty and Social Protection. Retrieved from: https://www.unicef.org/social-policy


6 comments:

  1. Jamie,
    I would like to add another awesome fact on what I read about the work of UNICEF. UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to save children’s lives, to defend their rights, and to help them fulfill their potential, from early childhood through adolescence.(UNICEF, 2020). Thanks for the informative post Jamie -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jamie, great blog post! I think you did a good job with explaining the UNICEF and giving us your intake on what they are striving to do. I think it is a blessing to have them out in the world not only helping children in the communities we may know but also in other countries as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,
    UNICEF is something I decided to look into also. UNICEF is highly involved across the globe and locally. As part of the localization agenda, UNICEF increasingly works with local government in the areas of disaster risk preparedness, peacebuilding and humanitarian response. (https://www.unicef.org/sites/default/files/2019-12/UNICEF-Guidance-on-Local-Governance-Approach-to-Programming-2019.pdf). UNICEF participates in all disasters and humanitarian aid around the world. What a great resource to have listed amongst your general information source.
    Reference
    http://www.unicef.org/socialpolicy/index_childpoverty.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamie,
    Reading your blog is always so informative. The amount of children that live in poverty is staggering. I like how UNICEF works with others in order to find resources and aid for people in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jamie,
    Your post is very informative. I love how UNICEF believes every child deserves the opportunity to be raised in a safe and inclusive environment. I also like how this organization works with others to find resources. The statistics of children living in poverty is very disturbing. It will take a lot but I'm grateful that organizations like UNICEF exist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Jamie. I was so disturbed by that 385 million children live in extreme poverty and the fact that so may also do not have basic needs meet. UNICEF provides a great resource so we can be an advocate to help children thrive and have a fair chance at life.

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

To Dr. Darragh Ernst and colleagues, thank you so much for your support over the last 8 weeks. Thank you for your positive feedback and shar...