Friday, December 6, 2019

Daily Supports

Support

The term support means to me:
 -to assist, to provide help, caring, encouraging, comforting, present-

I just the present because the person who is providing you the support either in person, by phone, or email is present, providing you the time and energy to support you during that period of time. 

There are different kinds of support such as emotional support, practical support, physical support, and monetary support. 

Emotional support: My fiancee, my family, friends
Practical support: In order for me to productive each day and stay focused, I have to make to-do lists to do at work and at home.
Physical support: help with the dogs if I am late getting home. Just recently, I needed help getting the Christmas tree out of the attic. 

A challenge and the kind of supports that would be needed:  For this example, I am using a past experience that had a big impact on our lives for a period of time. We were on a long weekend trip and a tornado came through our campground. It picked up our cabins that we were sleeping in and landed us in a canal. My fiancee kicked out a window for us to swim out of.  Fortunately, we all were okay! However, he had to have two surgeries on his foot and I had a severe concussion. During the time that we recovered, we had to take time off work, lost many personal belongings, and had many doctor appointments. We had many kinds of support that helped us during that time included emotionally, physically and monetary. 

Emotionally: Friends and family visited us and checked in with us throughout the recovery time. 
Physically: My mom drove Tim ( my fiancee) and me to all our doctor appointments because neither of us could drive.  My parents and brothers helped Tim move around the house with a walker and his crutches. 
Practical: My mom made us dinners and helped with daily chores such as laundry, grocery shopping. 



Support is essential. It is so important that everyone has a support system. Everyone's support system is unique and looks different but it is critical that everyone has someone who is there for them when needed. A strong social support can be key when you need help through stressful times, a bad day at work or a sad time such as loss ( Mayo Clinic, 2o19). A lack of support can lead to isloation and loneliness ( Mayo Clinic, 2019).

I am truly thankful for my support system who continues to support me every single day.

Reference: 

Mayo Clinic. (2019).Social support: Tap this tool to beat stress. Retrieved from:

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie,
      You did a great job in your description of the different forms of support. It had to be a terrifying experience being in the midst of a tornado. I am always overjoyed to see how a community comes together when a disaster occurs. Thankfully you all came through okay. I believe that having support through this horrific time is possibly what help you move past it and not allow you to take a negative stance because of it.Understanding responses to distressing events can help you cope effectively with your feelings, thoughts and behaviors, and help you along the path to recovery (Rowell, 2013).

      Rowell, K., & Thomley, R. (2013, August). Recovering Emotionally from Disaster. Retrieved from https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/recovering-disasters.

      Delete
  2. Jamie,
    I agree with you completely. Support is essential. I'm glad that your fiance is so supportive of you. My husband tells me all the time how proud he is of me for working towards my masters degree, and he will also stay up with me grading papers.
    I think emotional support is one of the most important things that I need personally. I had many issues with anxiety over the past few years, but I am glad that I am able to talk to people about what I need in ways of support.

    Thank you for sharing.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, this story will be truly breathtaking as well as encouraging when you tell it to the children you serve because it was truly inspirational for me to read. "When treatment and service planning are based on strengths rather than deficits and pathologies, children and families are more likely to become involved in the therapeutic process and to use their strengths and resources" (Empowering Children and Families Through Strength-Based-Assessment, 2014). This not only applies to the children we serve but also in our adult lives. I'm so glad you had a strong support system through your trying time.

    Reference
    Empowering Children and Families Through Strength-Based-
    Assessment. (2014). Retrieved, 2019, from
    https://rhyclearinghouse.acf.hhs.gov/library/2000/empowering-
    children-and-families-through-strength-based-assessment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, I'm so glad you have an amazing support system and that everyone made it out of that cabin. I can remember riding in the car with my mom and sister when a tornado came through and it was indeed scary. I feel like with great support we can get through anything.

    ReplyDelete

Time Well Spent

To Dr. Darragh Ernst and colleagues, thank you so much for your support over the last 8 weeks. Thank you for your positive feedback and shar...